A Quick Guide to Keeping Chickens
Did you know that chickens were one of the very first animals domesticated by humans. Chickens are unique in that, not only do they make great pets, but also offer the benefits of free produce, eggs! Things to Consider
- You’ll need to register your flock if you have over 50.
- Can destroy flowers and lawns if left to roam around for too long.
- Cockerels are quite noisy.
- Check clauses in your deeds as they may forbid you from keeping poultry.
- They need daily care, they cannot be left to fend for themselves while you’re on holidays.
- Chickens usually live around 4 – 7 years.
- There are a huge variety of chickens to choose from, but if you’re looking to keep them for their eggs, you should go for larger breeds or hybrids.
- Most gardens will be suitable to house chickens, as long as it’s not tiny.