Worming chickens should be a regular activity when keeping healthy and happy birds. However, if you feed your chickens organic feed and follow the organic lifestyle then worming the conventional way with Flubenvet would be a problem. Flubenvet, although a very good treatment for worming poultry, is not Organic, as the chemicals in the Flubenvet can not be replicated in an organic way. So how do you go about natural chicken worming?
Alternatives to Flubenvet
If you wish to continue feeding your birds organically then Verm-X is a great product. Verm-X is the only intestinal hygiene product approved for use on organic farms. Introducing Verm-X when you spot signs of worms will get rid of them over time the natural way, as well as increase general health and well being. Verm-X is 100% natural, it started off as a treatment for horses when the makers grew increasingly worried about the growing use of chemicals in the day to day management of the animals. It has now been transformed into a natural treatment for more animals such as dogs, cats, pigs, wild birds, reptiles and as talked about here, chickens! It is the ideal supplement for chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons and game birds.
Verm-X Treatment Options
This is to be added to the the drinking water of your chickens to introduce all the goodness of the Verm-X formula. It contains the same ingredients and has the same benefits of the feed.
These 100% natural pellets for all types of poultry can be added to your existing feed or can be fed by them self. They are an effective formula for supporting intestinal health and during periods of challenge.
Verm-X Standard Layer Pellets
These pellets have Verm-X added in the same way that Flubenvet is added to the pellets. It makes for a easy way to introduce Verm-X in your chickens diet.
All contain the same natural mix of herbs, spices and minerals that have proven to prevent and deter worms.
Verm-X vs. Flubenvet
- No treatment period – Verm-X can be fed all year round as a supplement or as a replacement feed.
- No withdrawal period – As this is a natural chicken worming product there is no need for any egg or meat withdrawal period.
- Cost effective – In comparison to Flubenvet, it is about the same depending on what product you choose.
- Natural – No chemicals, 100% natural chicken worming.
- Creates a Worm-Deterring Environment in the Gut – Verm-X is a preventional product whereas Flubenvet is a guaranteed treatment.
- No prescription needed – Unlike Flubenvet we will not need to prescribe these products before we dispatch them.
- Takes Longer to See Benefits – Flubenvet treats within a week, however Verm-X needs to be fed over longer periods.
The Benefits of Adding Cider Vinegar to Drinking Water
Another good natural product for the prevention of worms is Cider Vinegar. Although not always guaranteed to be Organic, it is still natural. It promotes a healthy gut and digestive system, an area that is most likely to become affected by worms.
- Healthy for the gut and digestive system – helps create an environment that deters worms.
- Helps reduce stress – Chickens can get very stressed during or after an episode of worms, cider vinegar helps relieve their stress.
- Mild antiseptic and antibiotic properties – helps fight off germs and other nasties.
However, the best natural prevention for worms is always to keep on top of general hygiene and cleanliness. We have put together a worming guide that will give you some advice on how to prevent worms.
For more help or advice please feel free to leave a comment below!