Rock salt poisoning is a real problem for pet owners, when dogs and cats lick their paws after stepping on it outside. It’s hard to say exactly how much is needed to be ingested before the toxic signs develop in your pet. Even a small amount can result in a high blood sodium level which can cause great thirst, vomiting and lethargy. In severe cases it may also cause convulsions or even kidney damage.
As cats and dogs will instinctively lick at their paws if some irritating rock salt is left on them, it’s important to wipe their feet after time outside. If they show any signs of discomfort then we recommend using a mild pet safe shampoo to wash the affected areas and be sure to dry them thoroughly. It is also important not to let your pets drink the melted ice water, as there could be remnants of rock salt in there.
If you suspect that your pets has ingested rock salt it is important to take them to a vet immediately. A blood test will be required to test their sodium levels which may not cause any exterior symptoms. The vet will most likely try and re hydrate them or even induce vomiting. Never try these techniques yourself.